Team USA Candidates are Announced for the London 2012 Olympics January 17, 2012 13:02
This week, the candidates for the U.S basketball team, who will represent their country in the London 2012 Olympics, have been announced. There is already talk of this team being even stronger that the previous two gold medal winning teams, and looking at this line up, you can see why.
20 NBA players have been named, of which a roster of 12 will be selected in June. The players that have been chosen are:
- Kobe Bryant, LA Lakers
- LeBron James, Miami Heat
- Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
- Chris Bosh, Miami Heat
- Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks
- Dwight Howard, Orlando Magic
- Chris Paul, LA Clippers
- Deron Williams, LA Clippers
- Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder
- Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls
- Tyson Chandler, New York Knicks
- Eric Gordon, New Orleans Hornets
- Rudy Gay, Memphis Grizzlies
- Kevin Love, Minnesota Timberwolves
- Lamar Odom, Dallas Mavericks
- Chauncey Billups, LA Clippers
- Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder
- Andre Iguodala, Philadelphia 76ers
- Blake Griffin, LA Clippers
- LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland Trailblazers
Decisions about the team have been more difficult this year by the lockout-delayed season, but candidates for Team USA had to be put forward this month so that a drug testing program could begin.
The final 12 players, which have to be chosen in June, will be selected before the NBA finals are completed, again meaning that the lockout has ensured that the US Olympic team will not have the time to prepare that they would have liked.
Nevertheless, the US team have a strong athletic advantage over many of the other teams who they will face for the London 2012 Olympics, and pundits will no doubt have Team US as easy favourites for the gold.